View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
mkl

"i disagree, the tip is based on the performance of the entire store, if the cooks do a bad job"

I am in *total* disagreement with that, but maybe things have changed since I or anyone I know has waited tables. How I have seen it work, is the cooks in the back get a full salary. They didn't get cashed out with tips from the wait staff. If your food doesn't taste good, your waiter had *zero* influence on that, and couldn't do anything about if they did. Basically not tipping for poor food, was punishing the waiter for something out of their control. But again, maybe I am out of touch with the way things work.

" like if you dont tip because of a so so performance, they will starve, just means they may only make 15 bucks that hour instead of 20 or 25."

You must have been an awesome server, in a nice restaurant, who had customers who tipped, and tipped well.
I guess it depends on what restaurants. I do not think its fair to say that all wait staff are typically making 20-25$ an hour consistently (That would be $40,000- $50,000). Wait staff I have known were more in the $25,000-$39,000 range, but clearly this is going to depending on the type of restaurant. During peak hours, sure you might make $25 an hour or more. Then you have all those hours in the morning and other times where maybe no one is in your section for an hour. Then you have a ton of people who don't tip at all. It throws the average off *real* quick.

So yeah, if you work in a nicer restaurant, get to work all the weekend shifts, can avoid the customers who don't tip, and avoid all the slow shifts, I am sure you are doing great as a waiter.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote