View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #70 (permalink)
ArtNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
Also, it has a lot to do with mentality. Mentality and maturity are a bit different. Chemda kinda elluded to this idea on the show but didn't specifically call it out ( I don't think).

There is always the, "Oh but she is so mature for an <some young age> year old" response when talking about girls 16-23ish being with guys 6+ years older then they are. For instance 16 with 22 and 20 with a 40 year old. A 16 year old may be mature but she still doesn't have the mentality of a 20+ year old guy even if they are equal in their maturity. They view the world differently due to their actual experiences in the world. Now a 24 and 30 match up, still 6 years is not so bad but mostly because both have had a sinificant amount of time out of school and or just having life experiences. They can "relate" more easily which is a pretty large part of a "relationship". Same ting with a 20 year old woman and a 40 year old guy. Unless he's the type of guy who never left his mother's basement or moved out of his home this is mentality mismatch as well. At 40, you would expect a man to be established in his career and have moved up a ways in that respect, owned a home, paid bills mabe even get married and divorced. The 20 year old girl is just getting started in life and will not be a mentality match for the older guy. Typically these relationships only "work" if the girl either 1. Didn't have a father figure growing up or 2. Had a father figure that was a little to "involved" with her development (in a creepy quiet your mother is in the other room kinda way). If this isn't the case, the 20 year old is an answer to the 40 year old's "Do I still have it?".
Totally agree, part of the age difference is the experiential difference. Someone in high school and someone approaching 30 are going to have different experiences and different priorities (one hopes). I know a guy dating a girl 7 years younger than him and I have no idea how he deals with listening to her prattle on about fashion and movie stars all day.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote