Thread: 667: Bugger!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
MrBrit

Meh - from a political standpoint, I understand why Hillary Clinton complained. Politicians running for office need to garner an air of presidential respectability, and being compared to a pimp is the exact opposite of that. Had this not been an election year, I don't think anyone would've complained. Plus, her complaint also got her some free press and discussion (what politician doesn't love that). I had to laugh when the reporter said he didn't mean to be pejorative with the word, because he obviously did.

Also, you have to realize that the popular media in America is essentially a bitchocracy: whoever complains gets their way. Corporations will always apologize whenever people complain (example: Don Imus), and they'll "do the right thing" (aka kowtow) by suspending people if they think it will make the public happy. The media is just plain spineless and will tell people whatever they want to hear. Corporations care about one thing: money, and if they think apologizing will get them more money than not apologizing, they'll do what it takes - usually erring on the side of excessively apologizing. Besides, an apology doesn't cost any money.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote