Thread: 667: Bugger!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Grapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by germuhknee View Post
You had me till the end ...

First, what is this "logical, reasonable decision" that was blocked by her emotions? From the point of view of trying to win a literally, dreadfully fierce political campaign, it is perfectly logical to make noise and try to get yourself air time -- especially when your opponent is having it (air time) spoon-fed to him because he is the flavor of the day.
The "correct" way to handle it is to accept the fact that you are in the public eye and that you will come across both positive and negative feedback about you and your family members who may put themselves in the public eye to support you. Whining about it and taking offense to it is bad enough, but to expect "apropriate action" to be taken is an example of her reacting badly to her emotions. Their positions publicly allow for things like this to be said about them. Even if he would have meant the comment in a negative way, too damn bad, she needs to put her personal feelings aside and not react in the way she did. It goes back to the saying, "I might not agree or even like what you have said, but I will defend your right to say it". That is, or at least was the saying that encompasses the idea of free speech and press. No, she was wrong in what she did, but MSNBC was even more wrong for catering to her request.

As far as Obama having air time "spoon fed" to him, that isn't an accurate depiction of the political system here. If one candidate speaks in a public venue or has a public audience to talk about their platform all other candidates are able to have the same air time, audience etc to talk about theirs. It's a concept called "equal time". Hillary gets just as much air/media time as Obama does. Well at least here she does.

Quote:

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that emotions should be off-limits for politicians. But emotions are driving the whole process! For example, Obama is stoking the fires of emotion. Hope! Change! Obama's whole campaign is based on emotions.
You are wrong, I never implied that. She made the statement herself, "I am a mother first and a candidate second". That line of reasoning is wrong here. She chose to pursue this candidacy and with her claims of "experience over her opponents" should have known and have been prepared to deal with these types of situations more professionally. Hell this guy didn't even attack her negatively, I can't wait to see what happens when the mudslinging starts.
Quote:

And yet, to be taken seriously, Hillary must behave like a robot? Ironically, her social conservative opponents would probably take the opposite tack: Hillary, that cold-hearted, emotionless bitch ... the woman who'd rather be a man, who isn't all pink and warm and fuzzy like a good woman should be.

Sheesh, talk about your rock and your hard place.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote