View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
DanClass
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogy
you are smoking crack, dr. dan, but that has little to do with hybrid cars.

i wonder what the processing thing they hooked the prius up to is like, if it adds all the weight the larger batteries do to calculate the mileage, but it looks promising.

what i worry about is the strain this puts on the grid in the summer in places like nyc and los angeles, where they have scheduled and unscheduled outtages. old and sick people tend to die when the ac goes out in their 110 degree pad. can we provide enough energy to keep our homes cool and leave millions of these cars plugged in every night, or multiple times a day?

even if those cars arent the best solution, there are other, perhaps better solutions already out there that the article mentions. if china can build a dam that generates gigawatts of power, if a diesel engine can run on fry-fat with no complicated conversions, we can find something better than what we have now.
word it's exciting stuff

i mean you can pump the energy from cooking greese into the power grid or what if you had ways to process your own household biowaste into the batteries of your car? that would fucking rule
hook up your solar panels to batteries all day long and then put the charged pack into your car when you get home from work

maybe most days you don't go over 50 mph on the way to work but if you need to you got the gasoline(or pig fat o line) as back up

i never thought we'd really have alternatives to gasoline in my lifetime and it's giving me a woodrow just thinking about
---arcatacat
i'm pretty happy with my smooth rod...
---sketcherstud
(Offline)   Reply With Quote