View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
benjita

It's a bit more than just hitting "Play", although they're trying to make it easier on you. You'll need to be up there for the "Special" songs, (Bride/Groom dance, Bride/Father dance, Wedding Party dance, bouquet/garter toss). Advantage: you get a front row seat. Disadvantage: You need to know what you are doing.

Typical Reception music (You can create seperate playlists for the seperate stages of the party):

Intro music: Light Rock/Classical. Very low volume. Barely dancable, but good background music for people introducing themselves and catching up with each other. This can be a playlist, so you can join in with the schmoozing. Good for dinner. Stop just before toast and cake.

"Special" songs. Moderate volume. You're just there to select the requested songs. They need to come and get you when it's time. You're not responsible for the party, but you'd need to be findable. They can do the dedications, you don't have to. Everybody's watching anyway, so you're not missing any of the party.

Dancing. High volume. Here is the party. If you are a guest, DON'T let them talk you into requests. Limit it to the playlist they pick. You can help them, but this is done days in advance. Leave the music running and have fun.

Picking music:
If you've been to a reception before, you know most of the favorites. No matter how gay the group may be, everybody loves doing the "YMCA". Unchained Melody for the slow dance. Make sure you have BOTH the bride and groom picking. I hate country, but her entire family loves it. I have to make a concession. If you know they like country, you put in more country. If one hates it and the other loves it, make a 2-3 song concession, and try to find country that's not so Twangy. If they're 30, white and Rock lovers, you won't be including 50 Cent. If they're 22, black and R&B lovers, you won't have Poison in the cue. Setting the list beforehand prevents you from having to take requests. If you were a professional DJ, you wouldn't get any shit from the couple regarding what was requested. However, being a friend, if you took the request of the only black relative of the family, and played "Superfreak" around a bunch of country Yahoos, you may find yourself in an argument.

The job is only as difficult as you allow it to be. If they are asking you well enough in advance, set the rules yourself. You may seem like an ass (or bitch in this case), but a real DJ will do the same fucking thing.. However, if the party goes off well, you look great, only do about 20 minutes of actual DJing, and have fun at a party you helped create.

If you do decide to do this, I'm sure we can produce a list of never-fail reception songs.

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane
(Offline)   Reply With Quote