View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Nup. I'm not eating crow. I stand by my explanation. You looked it up on the internet, I learned it/taught it at university. I trust my sources more than I trust you or wikipedia.

Brings up an interesting point tho. We are debating probably unknown origins. Almost any ancient saying has an unknown origin - they are just guessed at really.
Actually, I learned/was taught in an American university all about how the "Rule of Thumb" being attributed to beating your wife, was a good example of a urban legend spread. We looked into early writings of the phrase, and through history to show that it is pretty clear why people today believe it came from beating your wife, but just isn't true.

So we are pitting the American university system against the New Zealand one. It just HELPS that I have every internet source except for email spam forwards on my side.

To work in some more phrases,
"You have diddly squat"
But, it appears "we are at loggerheads". But since this thread is "going to hell in a handbasket", for me, "that's all she wrote" on the subject.

Peace in the middle east
(Offline)   Reply With Quote