View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
motownguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep0081 View Post
Ok - I guess it wasn't my last post. I didn't realize when you posted you got responses to your email and now I read this and feel like I have to respond b/c you were so nice!

I'm perhaps too protective of Chris and my family boundaries, which is why I've never stepped into the forum world before this. Seeing Chris trashed in the forums for this really got to me. I took all of this personally. I forget it's the internet and that we're supposed to be playing a part and that you don't actually know us. Because we don't generally put ourselves out there to be commented on and are very new to the internet name calling that ensues, I was perhaps a bit sensitive to all this, and am incredibly protective of Chris, who is involved in all this because of me.

He came home that night and was beating himself up because he didn't feel like he articulated his point at all. Of course child molesters are awful and we should do everything we can to not have them around children - but putting them on a list is not working; therefore does not make sense. We need to look for a better solution. As for rehabilitation, if we stop studying this mental illness and hoping for a cure, we may not learn how to avoid it happening in the first place. Clearly, there isn't a cure for child touchers and I would like them as far away from my family as possible - but the same used to be true for lepers. Hope advances societies and not just when it's convenient and pretty.

Chris is really a thoughtful guy and cares about what's going on in the world. It's hard to have a debate when you 1) aren't prepared 2) haven't really formulated what your thoughts are on an issue. 3) Have a new angle on a debate, ie, becoming a dad. 4) have had a lot to drink.

Apologies to you for attacking. I should have kept a clearer head. Sleepless nights with the wee one make for a testy mood!

First off, I have a family and I do understand the need to set those boundries.

Second, we do have some serious debates on the forums, but there will always be the odd joke or potshot taken. If nobody takes a shot at you, it probably means nobody is reading your posts.

Third, it sucks you in, doesn't it?

(Offline)   Reply With Quote