Thread: Frak Me
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #302 (permalink)
spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
Not true. I have an outline of a story but the story inevitably crafts itself.
Saying it is an organic process is one thing, but if you were taught in school that it writes itself, I think you should consider finding another school. Building a story is like building a house, there's a process and a certain level of craftsmanship that is required for it to be up to code. You can argue that you can build it without a plan, without a carpenter, and maybe you can, but I am going to bet 99 out of 100 homes built this way will be complete shit, like the finale of BSG was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
That just proves what I said before.
How old are you(college, high school, younger, older)?

I feel like, and maybe I'm clouded in judgment by my disdain for the poor writing of the finale, you're pulling a McNally here, saying you can craft good art without knowing what you're doing, and BSG proves it.

Too many potentially great stories are ruined by starting with an awesome premise and working forward, instead of finding an awesome ending, and writing backwards.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote