View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
lickmyballssuckmy

Very well stated except for the part about "a world goverment would be so nice" in my opinion. Me thinks it would be not so nice at all.

Imagine taking the US and saying to everybody, "OK. Starting tomorrow, we are all North Dakota." Now, if you live in Massachussetts so you can gay-marry, you are pissed and you have to stick up for yourself. If you are from Arizona and you want to carry a gun but starting tomorrow, you can't, now you have to stick up for yourself.

With national borders, everybody, for the most part, has the freedom to go where they are comfortable and hang with other people like them or whatever. With a world government, you're talking 1984 shit where we all must comply with the same rules. That sounds like hell to me. Or like being forced to listen to Dawn and Drew because it is the only globally approved podcast.

3 paragraphs. Whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
This whole thing saddens me.

So, so sad that people die for causes, for ideas, for hatred, for misgivings. You are not me and I do not forgive your trespasses. It is great and though you feel justified, I know you are not. I demand retribution.

Issues cause us to fight, but in the end, all we want is some respect, happiness, and love. Greed perverts these desires.

I am happier not knowing of these things, these sad, sad things. I am fortunate that if I choose, I can avoid knowing much of them. Yet I know these things will affect me, affect the life of my loved ones.

Realize that this comes from my western mindset, but a world government would be so nice. The United Countries of the World or something like that. What would it take? In Watchmen (Alan Moore), (SPOILER ALERT) Adrian Veidt constructs a mock alien invasion. This refocuses the US and the USSR from war and towards a new, mutual enemy.

Forgive others their trespasses, not as we would ask them to forgive ours but with greater empathy and love than we would expect for ourselves.

And I know that were I to walk in their shoes, maybe, probably, I wouldnt be so forgiving. But would I knowingly commit actions that would lead to the death of another? No. I dont think so.

Lives ended. Lives destroyed.

So, so sad.