View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chespirito

I figure I may as well get the ball rolling and say a bit about myself.

My name is Francisco and I was born in Quito, Ecuador (South America). I came to the Unites States when I was 8. I speak both Spanish and English, although my Spanish has taken a hit since I don't speak it very often now. I've moved around several times but now I go college in Austin as I mentioned above. In retrospect, I guess I've always leaned towards studying physics even if I didn't know it till a few years ago. Having studied several topics within physics gives me the sense that I understand the world a little different now then I did before. Not only in how it works, but also in how I can try to understand it through what little I know of it. I imagine it may be how someone in the film industry sees movies. They'll spend time not only thinking about what was shown to them on-screen, but also wondering about all the effort that went into making it; the cinematography, the editing, the score, even the lighting which the audience might not ever think about.

For better, or for worse, I am stubborn as a mule; to the point that my first grade teacher pointed it out to me despite not knowing what the word 'stubborn' meant until I asked my mom about it (and consequently gave her a good laugh). It's bad in the sense that, for example, I have a hard time letting go of an argument even if getting my point across ends up being to my own detriment. But it's helpful in the sense that it pushes me to meet the standards I set for myself. For example, it's 6:00 A.M. right now, but I will not go to sleep until I study for a subject which I hate, Biology, for an exam I don't have for another four days.

As mentioned before, I enjoy physics to the point that I can't see myself doing anything else. However, I constantly tell myself this, because any time I don't, I am probably telling myself how delusional it is for me to think I could be smart enough to be a physicist. That's is not to say I don't do well in the subject; I've managed to gain A's and B's so far. But still, the doubt is there, and it does not go away.

Being a physics major doesn't leave much time for many other things. And what time is left, is usually taken up by working with a research group I've joined this past year. Weekends are no longer a time of relaxation, but more of a time of prolonged guilt over what I should have done already. Social events are not so much college parties, as they are times when people get together for a purpose other than studying.

But the question still remains, would I do it all over again? I think so far the answer is clear; yes I would. Despite the amount of time and effort it takes from me, I still enjoy it at the end of the day.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote