View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
dzagama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chespirito View Post
As mentioned before, I enjoy physics to the point that I can't see myself doing anything else. However, I constantly tell myself this, because any time I don't, I am probably telling myself how delusional it is for me to think I could be smart enough to be a physicist. That's is not to say I don't do well in the subject; I've managed to gain A's and B's so far. But still, the doubt is there, and it does not go away.

Being a physics major doesn't leave much time for many other things. And what time is left, is usually taken up by working with a research group I've joined this past year. Weekends are no longer a time of relaxation, but more of a time of prolonged guilt over what I should have done already. Social events are not so much college parties, as they are times when people get together for a purpose other than studying.
Hey Francisco,

UT's an amazing school, I studied there as a high-schooler, and for two years, before getting a chance to move to the coast.

I don't have time to dish out the usual shpeal that I give undergrads, but Terrence Tao has a nice list of essays and links to career advice in Science:

Career advice « What’s new

Read all of it.

I'm a biomedical engineer (studied Computer Science/Engineering and Biology), but I find physics fascinating to a level that it completes my soul. Only creating things out of wire, brings me greater joy.

Self-doubt is healthy; even the greatest Scientists have moments of critical introspection, but trust your intuitions. You're in an intensely competitive field. You have ~200 years of knowledge to ingest before being able to push the field further. That alone, kept me away.

Visit as many labs as you can. Find the smartest, most creative group, and see how you fit in. Try to feel constantly challenged; have smart friends. Start applying your knowledge as soon as possible. No need to wait for a class assignment. Pick up some graduate textbooks and try pushing your way through them.

If you have trouble with Math, pick up some popular mathematics books:

- The Prime Obsession
- Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula
- e: The Story of a Number
- An Imaginary Tale: The Story of "i"

Get a sense of the history of Science, and the pursuit that you're now a part of.

Oh yeah, and grab some vegan nonsense at the Wheatsville Co-Op and spend a day trolling Half Price Books.

EDIT: One more last bit, try to find meaning in everything you do. Many professors and advisers have already cast their die; it's up to you to determine whether or not what you are doing is important.

I'm sure Forbin can give you some advice. IIRC, he's a physicist.

Last edited by dzagama; 04-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote