View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junkenstein
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Isn't This American Life considered in that same genre, does anyone think that show is anything close to lowest common denominator? And if we shit on Joe Rogan for the worst, shouldn't we also laud him for the best?

Of course i laud him for the best. I think that Joe Rogan made one of my all time favourite stand-up dvd's ("Live from the belly of the beast"). The point is that he's still more famous for Fear Factor, and he acquired popularity more from that than from his comedy.

And Fear Factor is a good example of rotten reality TV, where you have to watch fucked up people do fucked up things, possibly with a sarcastic host that makes fun of them.

I'm not saying i blame Joe Rogan for anything, i'm saying that i see why a comedian with a strong personality like Marc Maron could say what he says.

It's similar to what Hicks said in his bit about Jay Leno or about making commercials on tv (If you do a commercial every word that comes out from your mouth is suspect"). Many people are still saying that what he said was "pretentious". I think that he was being honest and bold, and there are way too many people who are afraid to be that way.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote