View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
marina

P.S.

I'm listening to Marc's interview with Lewis Black, and at the end of Part 1, Lewis talks about the time that the dickbag producer at the Daily show cut his valentines day joke, said he wasn't funny, pretty much ending Black's time as a writer for the show. And Marc is like, how do you not get fired over that kind of shit? You'll have to see it, but Lewis said something along the lines of "I needed it too much."

I think that's such a poignant description of basic human motivation at the workplace. Like, at a certain point everybody either learns to behave, or sells their soul because they just couldn't keep sleeping and cooking in the same room, because you don't want a room mate again, or a 2nd job, or you need your dental insurance or whatever.

Do you think that the (perceived) failing of Joe Rogan in this situation is that he did it too soon, and the (perceived) success of Lewis Black is that he waited so long to make this compromise?

And I'm not saying it's a bad compromise to make. Some of us (I count myself among this number) are simply too delusionally idealistic to function in the real world without it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote