View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #2934 (permalink)
standardman

Killzone 2
I borrowed this from work and - while they never reach the infamous target footage - it's very impressive on a technical level.

There are things I like about the game - the furious combat combined with the slower and movement that encourages pushing forward and tactical planning and the realistic, solid look and feel of the weapons.

It's kind of a shame that all that technical work has been put into a game of dull greys and uninspired browns, a design ethos seemed to be carried through the bland story, samey levels and uninteresting characters.

Unfortunately, the game seems set up against it's strengths - some examples that come to mind are the fast turning insect-like helicopter boss and the final encounter with an invisible, grenade spamming enemy who can teleport behind you and knife you in the back, killing you instantly.
Why you'd create deliberate turning and then put things behind the player that can kill them instantly, I don't know but it's all the more frustrating when combined with poor checkpointing and heavy scripting.

The great technical achievement squandered on dull, derivative design, the idiotic characters, the inarticulate ('fuckin') script and the linear gameplay with NPCs constantly yelling at you feels like everything I hate about Gears of War combined with everything I hate about Modern Warfare - it's a bombastic, expensive and disappointing step backwards for the shooter that seems to define this generation quite well.

Some of you may remember that I was getting together PS2 games for my 60gb PS3, I suspect fewer of you will care but I found Shadow of the Colossus today, bringing the list to:

Onimusha 2, 3 and 4
Ratchet and Clank 1, 2 and 3
Spiderman 2
The Red Star
Sly Cooper/Raccoon 1, 2 and 3
Soul Reaver 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Persona 4
Rayman 10th Anniversary (1-3)
Rayman Revolution
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Yakuza 1 and 2
Odin Sphere
Parappa the Rappa 2
Jak and Daxter 1 and 2
Ico
Shadow of Colossus
Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner
God Hand
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

I'm still looking for Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 3, Katamari and GrimGrimoire but I'm pretty pleased and surprised how how quickly and cheaply I've found the games I wanted.