View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
DWarrior
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I haven't seen 3D movies in a while, besides Avatar, but I think aside from the novelty factor, it's actually a pretty bad viewing experience. When a 3d object gets cut off at the bottom because it doesn't fit in the frame, it completely takes me out of the movie, or when an object pops out to be on a background of other people watching the movie (or I presume if I'm watching 3d TV at the house, the movie objects will have a backdrop of stuff around my TV).

Also, at least in the case of Avatar, generally only a specific area of the screen the director wanted to focus on was actually in focus, everything else is blurry. So it's not like in real life where you can focus on some object on the side of the screen, that's just blurry in 3d. Apparently it's possible to remove this focus and make all objects look sharp, but it costs a lot more to film that way.

Not to mention all the 3d objects have a silvery glisten to them, which just looks weird.

Maybe I'll just be an old man not understanding new technology though, who knows. I wonder if there were people against color in film when color recording technology first came out.