View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #3578 (permalink)
Junkenstein
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

After much pondering and criticizing i borrowed (euphemism with took without permission from a buddy) a copy of the new Splinter Cell.

I havent gone far enough to review it seriously (and i'm not sure i will), but a couple of things are already evident:

-the whole look of the game has been thouroughly "modernized", in a very next-gen way. That means everything is very shiny and pretty, there's alot of lighting play and if you have a less than stellar computer (oh, sure, you all have consoles) the game will run NOT smoothly

-Michael Ironside still plays Sam Fisher, and he embodies the character as usual. The series is cool mostly because Fisher is a badass, this time he's also way more angry and unhinged (which isnt necessarily good). But the fact that an old man is voicing a character that still barely looks in his forties sounds VERY weird.

-The gameplay has been simplified on that post Modern Warfare, way. Where you had to litterally fight your way through a level in the past episodes, here you can pull multiple target executions, and finding hiding spots is merely a question of pushing a button after the other. Weird if you think that even the old SC tutorials were gorgeously tight. This time you pretty much can let the game be stealthy for you.

-Some scenes are eerily "cinematic". Which means mostly scripted. Interrogating a suspect, which could have been a great opportunity, is bvasically reduced to pushing a button and staring at the following cool cinematic cutscene. Ah jeez.

There's still great ideas (Like the way flashbacks are handled, projected into the game like shattered movies on walls), but everything looks so simple. It was a stealth game, now it's the quintessential dumbed down actioneer.

Again, it's a 1st impression.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote