View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #3619 (permalink)
Junkenstein
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I agree with the controls thing. But that's the modern way of adventure games. Actually the classical point and click of some less known recent AG (see Memento Mori. Bleargh) sucked so bad, i like the keyboard thing better. Apparently the new programmer dont know how hot spots work. And i would love to see the old SCUMM interface back, but that's dreaming.

Tales is superior to Curse for a bunch of reasons:

1) The story is less unfocused and has a few dark, less openly silly moments that give it a dramatic edge that i loved. Ron Gilbert always said that the Monkey Island series wasnt supposed to be all about comedy. Telltale worked that.

2)I never liked how they reshaped the look of Guybrush in Curse. That cartoony bug eyed look always rubbed me the wrong way. It looks less irritating in 3d. Also he has the goatee and jacket combinaton of MI2: instant win.

3) Dominic D'Armato gives the most incredible voice acting performance (next to Hamill in Arkham Asylum) i've seen in a videogame in this last season. He was good in Curse, but far too young and insecure. In this one he gave Guybrush a soul, an attitude and the perfect delivery for the amazing one liners. Before he got a voice, i couldnt possibly imagine how Guybrush could sound. In Curse i was concinced but not thorougly. But in Tales? Wow. The moments when he actually pulled off drama? Great.

4)The puzzles were inferior, mostly because of the episodic nature. But the good ones were a lot less frustrating than the ones in Curse, and more obedient to the Ron Gilbert design of adventure games.

5)The personality of Guybrush was a win. He isnt supposed to be a bumbling idiot. He's simple but edgy.

That said, the best MI is MI2: Le Chuck's Revenge. ANd that isnt only a FACT but a DOGMA.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote