View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
club america

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
USA vs England was interesting but the quality fell off badly over the last 20 or so minutes. Maybe it was the high altitude but suddenly even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard were making schoolboy errors of judgement, as if their spatial awareness was shot by fatigue. USA were maybe lucky Green caught a shitty bounce for that seemingly soft goal but they were also unlucky Altidore didn't convert his two superb chances. USA could easily have won. And that Tim Howard is a really world class goalkeeper for the US, he's like a big orange beast between the sticks.

And I get why some people might not have enjoyed watching Argentina with their tactical passing possession game but to me it was great drama. Messi and Tevez are wizards and it was only Vincent Enyeama the freakishly acrobatic Nigerian goalkeeper that saved Nigeria from going three or four goals down.

Best of all was Maradona stalking his technical area. The Madman was on camera more often than some of the players.

I'm not questioning the individual talent a squad full of stars like argentina has, but today they showed why they had such a tough time during qualifying. None of the star players shone like they do in their clubs, and none could capitalize on the opportunities created. They did have many chances to finish nigeria off, and although nigeria's keeper played a great game, it isn't usual for some of the top strikers playing in the top leagues, to miss that goals.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote