View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
Bucho
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by club america View Post
I'm not questioning the individual talent a squad full of stars like argentina has, but today they showed why they had such a tough time during qualifying. None of the star players shone like they do in their clubs, and none could capitalize on the opportunities created. They did have many chances to finish nigeria off, and although nigeria's keeper played a great game, it isn't usual for some of the top strikers playing in the top leagues, to miss that goals.
Messi wasn't "missing" every time, he had some great shots on target but Enyeama was able to Superman across and deflect.

I think you're right that Argentina could have trouble against more streetwise defences though. Against Holland and Germany for example I think they could find themselves missing a combative centre forward. Tevez and Messi are small and quick and skillfull but they'd be more effective if they had some Batistuta type muscle up front to play off of, and Higuain and Milito don't really seem to offer that.

Of course it's all academic since New Zealand is going to sweep them all aside on the way to glory.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote