View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zomniac
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Ok, confirmed, there was a movement in 2005 in almost all of Great Brittain's museums to use a unified type-face for all advertisements, banners, gallery placards, correspondence, etc. That typeface was called Tate. There is no font for computers called Tate, but the closest equivalent is either Calibri (probably why I like it) or a font called Vag Rounded Light (snicker, snicker, "VAG").

Anyway, you can see what both of these look like here:
Calibri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here:
VAG Rounded - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want the bastardized versions of either of these use the Rounded versions of either Helvetica, Verdana, Tahoma, or Arial. Depending on your taste, because each have similar elements to Tate, but not all, it's up to you which you choose.

I understand that people, for whatever reason, don't like the movement towards the softer-rounder fonts, but it seems like it's a pretty strong movement. Especially amongst those upgrading their websites through services like Squarespace and Wordpress from the older more clinical or boxy looking designs of the early 2000s to the newer Web 2.0 designs. These rounder, softer fonts, in my opinion, are cleaner and easier to read on the eyes. While you might more easily lose your lines with rounded fonts, you aren't getting as much eye-strain. I like them, but again, that's a personal preference.

EDIT: Read the Vag Rounded wiki, apparently, that font has been the Apple Inc. font for some things including their laptop keyboards. A lot of other corporations used it, too, not just Volkswagen.

Last edited by Zomniac; 07-05-2010 at 12:05 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote