View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #4086 (permalink)
DWarrior
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
It has much more micro and strategy than C&C. You can steam roll a base by massing units still but all units have a rock, paper, scissors relationship with each other. Building one unit 12 times and sending it into a base is a terrible idea, for example.

It's a bit like Warcraft III?
Not really, I'd say it's SC I with better better graphics and slightly more macro. The goal was to make it more like chess to maintain its sport viability, so there's a lot less reliance on chance than in WC3 (where they had Heroes and lots of individual spells, plus they actually penalized you for building units). There's less "local" micro, so you have to have a global strategy for building units in response to / in anticipation to your opponent.

There's less frustration than SC though, like not having to individually put workers to mine, waypoints for minerals, and actually seeing where waypoints go, ability to select all your army. These are all changes that increase macro from the original.

That's not to say SC isn't micro-intensive as hell. The difference is that in WC3 you have a small brigade of units and you micro a couple of units a lot. In SC, you have a huge army and have to micro the hell out of the whole army to make sure you're pitting each unit against an opponent that's weaker, all the while maintaining your production line. So you're microing each unit less, but you're never ever sitting still and watching the game unfold. Obviously this is skill/dedication dependent, if you're ok with being stuck in bronze leagues you can just mass units->attack move->repeat.

Here's a cool replay:

The tides turn several times, it's pretty amazing.

So yeah...get SC2.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote