View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #4199 (permalink)
Chmpy
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Yeah, I bought it on a whim, cause it was Best RPG of whatever Year, if I would have done some research I would have known it wasn't for me. I think some of these games should have an extra description, like "story-driven RPG" so I know to skip it. I'm just simply more interested in game-play, tactics and ability development when it comes to RPG's, of any type, possibly a reason why I love Masters of Magic.
I'm with you, man. Aside from a few exceptions I'm always more about the gameplay, exploration, etc than the story. If the world is random or actually changes based on random events then so much the better.
You should check out Mount and Blade if you haven't already, there is a demo available that is completely unrestricted except your character stops leveling after a certain level cap. It's REALLY light on story and has a really nice feeling combat system. The world is huge, you can pretty much do whatever you want (which is sometimes frustrating if you feel like you need some kind of direction...). It is an indie game and takes a little suspension of disbelief to get into at times, but I highly recommend it for people who want an RPG but don't want to get led around on a leash. (Or multiple choose-your-own leashes even)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote