View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #4214 (permalink)
Junkenstein
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok, Tony is definitely the exper on this, but i'll give you some personal favourites. Usually they're available as collected issues and they can be read without knowing all the details about the bat background:

1) Year One: My absolute all-time favourite Batman novel of all-time and probably the best work done by the Oh So overrated Frank Miller. It's a fantastic take on the origins of Batman, realistic, tough, dramatic,. drawn beautifully. Some panels are heartbreaking.

2) The Long Halloween: as far as entertainment and epic noir tones, this one is a masterpiece. It might be less pdychoanalytical than other Bat-Tales but it's still freakin' awesome. Has a fantastic take on the origins of Two-Face and a breezy gangster epic tone that's made even better by the 40's styled art (And the number of classic gangster cinema references)

3) The Killing Joke It hasnt aged well as a whole but it' still the best take on The Joker out there and has some of the grestest Batman/joker writing. Still consider it Moore's best traditional work. Great art, too.

4) The Dark Knight Returns If you ask around for Batman reccomendations, this one will pop-out sooner or later... I think it's far less good as people make it to be but it's still one of the first completely "Adult2 batman stories" and has some passages that are downright epic.

Stories that evryone loves but i find Overrated:

-Hush (1 and 2): it's well done and entertaining but definitely messy. Too much plot twists and DC Continuty yapping going on

-Arkham Asylum: honestly, it looks like an art collection with the musing of a madman written all over it. Grant Morrison did far better stuff (but his work needs to be read when you know a buit more about the characters and you feel like being challenged)

The ones everyone talks about but i havent read:

-Batman and Robin - Reborn: Apparently it's the best thing ever. I believe it since Morrison lately is in top form and Frank Quitely is the best artist of the century. Havent read it yet mostly for economic reasons.

-The Cult: I havce it somewhere but never managed to read it. Many say it's a masterpiece.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote