View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Insomniac108

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasuperlinda View Post
I dont understand how anyone can hear story after story about gay teens taking their own lives and feel the need to further insult them. It comes off as though you are either a sociopath who lacks any empathy, or you want to appear as though you have a thick skin and can see past your immediate emotional reaction and come up with some intellectual argument against these teens who are now dead . Either way, knowing there are people amongst us who think the way you do, makes me understand further now, the point of view of these dead teens.
This was definately not the view I wanted to give. You sound like you are accusing me of not giving a shit about the kid who killed himself. I understand that this kid was put through a difficult time by other people and decided that suicide was the only way out and I feel for his family as they are going through this. Losing a family member is difficult enough, but losing a child to suicide must be devastating. I agree that the people that did it are horrible excuses for human beings and I in no way meant to insult the kid's memory. We live in a world full of people who do bad things to others just for the sake of being evil and innocent people who suffer needlessly. I'm definately not a sociopath and I don't lack empathy for anyone in this situation. Everyone was so quick to jump on the "fuck the broadcasters" bandwagon that they didn't even consider the other side of the situation. These young kids were involved in the death of someone who, regardless if they liked him or not, they were close to. I doubt they intended for the kid to kill himself and now they are stuck with the guilt of what happened and the condemnation of everyone around them. As badly as they treat other people, I can't help but feel a bit of pity for the two kids who didn't intend for their actions to go as far as they did. As far as my argument against "bullying someone to death" goes, I stand by it. No matter how bad this kid was treated, ultimately, it was his choice to end his life and I don't think these two should be charged with murder if they didn't try to kill the kid.

I understand that this may not be a popular view or even a view that other people can understand. This was a situation that got way out of hand. What seemed to be a mean spirited prank, intended to hurt someone, turned out to be the thing that drove someone to kill themselves. That kid is the true victim of this situation, but he is not the only victim. These kids will have to live every day of their lives with the burden of guilt and resentment. I'm not saying that they should be let free or even considered decent human beings, I just think that we could spare some thought to how they must be feeling as well. If anything, I think that some other people should practice some empathy for everyone involved.

"It's good to shut up sometimes" -Marcel Marceau
(Offline)   Reply With Quote