View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
beerchick
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

On the phone thing

I'm dating a guy 5 years younger than me and this is really the only place where I feel the age difference. He is a text-a-holic and his phone is his go-to whenever there is a dull moment. We've gotten to a place of compromise - through me he finally understands when it is really damn rude, and because of him, I've become a little bit more phone addicted myself.

I think it's really a difference of what you grew up with: I'm 32 and didn't grow up with the ability to constantly distract myself via technology, so half the time it doesn't even occur to me to do so. Whereas kids these days need a distraction from their distraction... "Well I'm driving, so that's really boring and kind of like doing nothing, so I should get on my phone." "Wow I'm at this comedy show but I am just sitting here when I could be doing two things at once so I should get on my phone."

At least my boyfriend is not the kind of guy who would whip his phone out at a comedy show or a movie, but I'm not saying I haven't seen that thing come out at dinner. My retaliation: I got on my phone and posted on facebook that my boyfriend is an asshole for being on his phone at a restaurant. Ironically satisfying and he got tons of shit on facebook about it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote