View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #50 (permalink)
justingoodman@live.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
The problem with that is that not everybody has the money, the space or the time to grow their own food. Not to mention that some people are bad at growing things.

Even if there is a perfect storm wherein a regular person or family is able to supply the kind of work it takes to maintain a self-sustaining garden, no single group can possibly supply all of their own needs. They're going to have to buy some things at the market. And even if they go to a farmers market, which is probably the next best thing to growing your own, those are damn expensive and sometimes very far away.

At first I was totally for SF taking the toys out of the happy meals, but after some thought, I'm against it. That's too much government interference. they should take the money they're using to be everyone's nanny and work on keeping the food safe for consumption in the short run, rather than the long run.
I can appreciate both your point of view, and and that you did so in such a manner of less anger then some of the other forum members. I would like to piont you to a magazine named urban farms www.urbanfarmonline.com/ that further guides individuals on ways to succeed in urban farming no matter the time, cost or land available. I currently live in the the middle of one of SDs large citys and have managed to not buy any of my produce lettice,cabbage, eggs, spinach, etc.,from grocery stores in the last two years despite the fact that i am feeding myself, my wife and four kids.
i can agree that advertisers are targeting people, yet assume that most parents can make the call to not feed their chidren trash instead of a home cooked meal. So i guess you could say that i am for less government interference as well.