View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #61 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
So why doesn't this apply to pedophiles? Giving them computer generated materials and the like shows them that other people need it like they do (as you said, they only make it because there is a demand) allowing them to feel more normal about it. Just as this show makes lots of people feel better about the seemingly weird things they are experiencing.
Are we in disagreement? I can't tell.
I think it DOES apply to pedophiles, but I don't think everyone else does.
I really feel it is possible that allowing pedophiles to be more open about their feelings (but obviously not actions) could lead to more of them feeling less isolated, being more likely to seek support and help, etc., but that by just downright saying "wrong!" and paying no further attention to the issue, certainly doesn't help, and likely perpetuates the cycle.

And Keith, are you saying you don't think racists should have a right to express their racism? Or something different?
I think Chemda and I tried to address this issue on the show, but to clarify, you know that you use a lot of freedom of speech in your life/livelihood, yes? And that it could be viewed as hypocritical to champion your right to discuss who you hate but not afford that right to others?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote