View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
marina

I have a similar dynamic with my boyfriend, sort of.

Unlike Dylan (Dillon?) or Keith, Dr. Boyfriend has always pulled his weight financially, he's never skipped on his half of the rent or bills, etc. So I have nothing to complain about on that front, but he's so much more laid back than I am. I'm very meticulous about budgeting and I constantly worry about money and employment, even though there's no reason to.

If I have a good enough job, I want a better job, if it looks like I can move up at my job, I'm kind of ruthless about it. I vie for position at work to the point where I can make myself sick gunning for more and better projects. I know for a fact it's annoying, and I try my best to tone it down, but I'm a total grade grubber through and through. Even though I have a great job and I love it there, I make myself miserable because I'm always worrying about position and status.

Dr. BF, on the other hand, is totally laid back about work. He's seems to happen upon the best projects. His job (which was only supposed to be a temporary thing and turned into a permanent position they custom made for him) is totally cool. His mom tells her elementary students what he does as an example of why it's important to get good grades. Fucking magazines interview him on a regular basis. He's a hard worker and deserves all of it, but it's frustrating because he never seems to care as much as I do, and yet we're always neck and neck.

I know that chances are if I cared less about my job, I would still do well at it. But I would be able to enjoy my life instead of constantly worrying about what everything means, what kind of future I have, and how this will look on my resume.

I think that people who are obsessed with status do well to have a more laid back partner who can remind us to appreciate the journey instead of always trying to get to the next marker.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote