Thread: 1434: Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
mcbane89
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Oh Hitler.

The $9million is definitely legal maneuvering. This becomes apparent when you first consider this is pretty much the largest sum anyone has ever heard of (and in true douche fashion the author contacted Guiness to see if it broke a world record, but Guiness doesn't have a category for largest medical bill, which is unfortunate because Keith would easily be on his way to breaking his first record, as the cost to treat his ear will soon eclipse the $9million mark) and secondly you see the mom has accused the hospital of not doing the little things in the treatment of her daughter...like, say, feeding her. I'm guessing about 30 seconds after the mom first made this accusation, the legal papers were drawn up.The hospital knows this sum is bullshit as they're only entitled to what the insurance wouldn't cover, which I highly doubt is $9million... or maybe the sum is legit and it's just some Obamacare thing. I don't know.

What makes this story even worse is the mom. Why would any mom keep her kid at a place she thought wasn't feeding her, to the extent of refusing to move her to other facilities that would take her (which probably proves she had insurance), deny the hosptial's attempts to discharge her (repeated attempts), and firing any doctors that tried since she was her daughters medical proxy (which the court removed her from eventually for unspecified reasons)? Basically, the more you look at it, the more it seems to be a pissing match between the hospital and the mother over who would dictate care and who got what money, as the daughter slowly died. This isn't the case of a hospital just trying to recoup lost monies to survive, it's the case of them trying to stick it to the mom (they never billed her, they only filed suit) who may or may not be an asshole (I wonder her reason for rejecting the hospitals plans for treatment) in such a grand way that they may as well have written under dollar amount sought "Fuck You".

That's kind of the thing I took from all this, doctors and hospitals being condescending dickheada who could really give a fuck about a given person. The loser in this is the daughter, as the people who should have been focused on helping her bickered over who had the bigger dick.

Last edited by mcbane89; 08-02-2011 at 01:30 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote