View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
swiggy
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Diet and Cancer, from someone who's delt with those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
There is a huge problem with nutrition in our country, mainly because we don’t understand how it affects us. If you follow an organic, all raw, all plant based diet, you are almost promised not to get any type of cancer or any chronic diseases[....] Food is an underlying cause for 99% of our problems, and it makes me sick.

I didn’t mean to go on a super hippi rant, I’m just passionate about nutrition, and I wish this information was more widespread.
What do you think of the following blog entry from a former Vegan?
A Vegan No More

Saying a "raw" diet will almost promise not to get cancers/diseases is something you should be cautious about saying, IMO it's a false hope (a big maybe). Plus many vegans don't follow that lifestyle diet properly and neglect their body.

On the topic of cancer and diet... If it were true, just diet, there would be more emphasis in cancer prevention and not "finding a cure" and there would be lower rates of middle to high income earners who get this disease. Don't get me wrong, I want a cure... But it seems this is a safety net to say to those who are afraid because a friend or a family member has had it in the past. It's something we can control tangibly, obsess over healthy living and it helps to forget the other factors.

There are so many other factors in a person other than diet that causes these illnesses, such as past history, physical activity, where you live (environment), your economic status, mental health etc. So what works for one may not work for another. Many skin cancers are neglect of prevention of protection of UVA/UVB rays. Dysgerminoma (Germ Cell Tumor) Ovarian cancer is still considered rare because it happens when the ovum is released and fails to migrate properly.

I say this as an ovarian cancer survivor (one spoken above) and experiencing it first hand at 15 years old; first in my province to have that kind of cancer at my age and 3rd in all of Canada at the time (2001). When speaking to doctors and RN's, I was surprised to learn how much goes into how to get rid of it instead of how to prevent it, and when you look into fundraisers a bit closer, it's advancements on treatment and not a cure (I'm sure politics from pharmaceuticals is a factor there) that gets the most money. Plus think of how many cooperations will lose millions, maybe more, because they can no longer use "breast cancer" (example) as a marketing tool? As sick as that sounds, it's reality. A lot of product sells because it has that pink ribbon on it.

I believe there is more to it than just "not understanding nutrition" for a lot of people, and poverty is a big one. If you're trying, and organic banana is 6 dollars and one with pesticides is only 2, you're on a tight budget, you'll go for the 2 dollar one. And it's thanks to human genetic mutation of certain seeds that places can grow their crops in severe weather conditions whereas those people would die off from starvation.

If you have the option to eat organic, great. I really hope it does prove beneficial. If you see those who don't, not the best to jump to lack reason of knowledge/understanding for everybody. But we can all agree that blatant ignorance (like you mentioned giving a young child a large coke and a (I assume) peperoni pizza or you only eat take-out, fast food or eating Nutella thinking it's healthy), should be pointed out and corrected as much as possible.

*throws two pennies at the forum*

Swiggy - She/Her/elle
(Offline)   Reply With Quote