View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #48 (permalink)
MrBrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
There is a huge problem with nutrition in our country, mainly because we don’t understand how it affects us. If you follow an organic, all raw, all plant based diet, you are almost promised not to get any type of cancer or any chronic diseases. You can reverse the diseases you already have too. I know it sounds extreme to the general public, but the food you eat does matter.... You can reverse cancer, Max Gerson proved that in the 1940’s. I highly recommend anyone looking into the Gerson Therapy or watching “The Gerson Miracle”.
Hmm. Well, I'm pretty skeptical of all this. There's always people talking about how this or that will cure cancer, but "Big Pharma" doesn't want you to know. Given how long people live, I could also imagine a lot of people claiming that this or that diet will prevent cancer - which they could likely do for decades (even if it had zero effect on their cancer rate). It reminds me of Deepak's claims that aging can be reversed (and yet, he continues to look older and older each time you see him).

It's also worth pointing out that the word "cancer" comes from the ancient Greeks. People were dying of cancer two thousand years ago: "Hippocrates (ca. 460 BC – ca. 370 BC) described several kinds of cancers, referring to them with the Greek word carcinos (crab or crayfish), among others" (Cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Obviously, they weren't eating processed modern foods.

Cancer also has a multitude of causes - everything from smoking to environmental carcinogens (like asbestos), to sunlight (e.g. melanoma) and even viruses are known to cause cancer (lookup HPV). In Australia, the Tasmanian devils are being killed off by tumors that can be passed from one individual to another (it's transmitted between animals when they bite each other) - Devil facial tumour disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Certain breeds of dogs are prone to certain cancers (which is obviously related to genetics), and certain mutations are known to put people at high risk of cancer - see the BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations ("a woman who has inherited a harmful mutation in BRCA1 or BRCA2 is about five times more likely to develop breast cancer than a woman who does not have such a mutation.").

Given this information and the fact that wild animals also die from cancer and they aren't eating processed foods ("Cancer accounts for about 10 percent of all human deaths. If you think that sets us apart, scientists have news for you: Wild animals die of cancer at about the same rate" Cancer Kills Wild Animals Too | LiveScience), I have a hard time believing in the diet-based magic bullet. If such a thing did exist, then I think it would be pretty easy to show it using animals like mice since they have short lifespans. Trying to prove that diet reduces the chances of cancer in humans would take a good 50 years, allowing people to make all kinds of false claims about a diet-cancer link in the meanwhile.

On a related note, I read a good article recently combating the idea that there is a cure for cancer, but the powers that be don't want anyone to know about it: The NESS » What Your Doctor Won’t Tell You
(Offline)   Reply With Quote