View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bucho
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Man, I hope this ep was only part one of a series on NYC because I loved it. When you grow up on an island in the middle of nowhere and are bombarded by American pop culture the romantic side of NYC hits hard.

You got the films of Scorcese and DePalma and Woody Allen and Spike Lee and even Ivan Reitman's Ghostbusters to growing up watching TV shows like Sesame Street, The Cosby Show, Kate and Allie and Night Court through to Seinfeld, News Radio, Spin City, Friends and 30 Rock. There's that grittiness to the streets and people of NYC that always make it seem far cooler than your LAs or your Miamis. Is there a more passionate city in the US?

Even though I think Chemda leans a little toward Only In New York territory every once in a while (as if crazy shit doesn't happen in Paris or Sao Paolo or Tokyo) I love that she feels lucky to be a New Yorker and I loved hearing Face and Emmy and Pat appreciate it too. I think Emmy summed it up real well when she talked about how there's a buzz in the danger and the grime and knowing that in such a concentrated rumble of humanity anything could happen at any time. I don't know if I'll ever get to visit for real, but until I do I'll always enjoy visiting it through art. (Podcasts are art. Fact.)

Also, I hope McNally listened to this. I don't know if that guy's ever more entertaining than when he's railing against New York City.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote