Thread: 15: Death
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bucho
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
Having stared down terminal illness a couple times in my life now, I live each day with a small part of me that wonders when I'm gonna have to do it all over again.
And with your line of work you must come face to face with it on a regular basis Dean.

I feel similar about (physical) trauma. When I was eleven I witnessed two cars collide head-on and in the moments which followed literally watched three people die, one as my mother administered first aid. Those three were strangers to me but in 2009 a woman I knew quite well died in front of me after falling from a deck, this time with me trying to help save her. She was fit, healthy and vivacious but within 15 minutes she was gone and the world had changed. Coming face-to-face with sudden death can't help but make you see life and mortality differently.

All that stuff about saving phone messages rang very true for me too. I not only do the same thing, I've "interviewed" my parents on video and back in the day I did the same thing with my Oma (grandma in Dutch). She died in 2006 and now the most precious thing I own now are those videos of her telling stories of her life.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote