View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
TallulahB

I'm a brand new VIP member and new Forums member. This is my first post! Just wanted to say, I think "What's My Name" is great.

I listened to this show last night after having read an article about the history of marriage and the current dilemnas of single women while waiting for a friend who was having minor surgery. I'm posting a link to the article here.

All the Single Ladies - Magazine - The Atlantic

Anyway, the article talked about how this idea of love and romance being a reason for marrying has only existed for about 100 years. The women in this podcast are obviously in touch with the fact that many of the reasons for entering into a marriage contract need to be logical and pragmatic. Now that it's easy for women to have children without having a man directly involved, there are fewer biological reasons to get married. The current economy isn't helping the average guy either. Women are the ones doing better economically today. The article points out that a successful single urban male is a rareity right now, and so many of them are choosing to play the field since their kind is in such demand. I work in a building with 6 young women who are successful, and every single one of them is married to an unemployed man. They all have kids and are trying to keep it together even though three of them have lost their homes and one has had to declare bankruptcy.

I'm an older single lesbian. Most of these heterosexual single women are envious of my lifestyle (which I hadn't thought was that enviable.) They say that having freedom and having a life rich with close female friends sounds great.

I was in a 16 year relationship with a woman who I loved more after 16 years than at the beginning, She left me without warning for a woman she had only met a month earlier. The other woman had a job where she was making $275,000 a year and a beautiful house overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
I guess practically speaking, it was a no-brainer.

I haven't been in a relationship since because this experience sort of killed my desire to "nest" again.

Anyway, thanks Chemda for the great podcasts. I'm probably not your usual demographic, but I love listening to Keith and the Girl. It's a great escape and way better than anything on television.

Last edited by TallulahB; 12-24-2011 at 02:53 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote