View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bucho
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I liked the episode too and hope for nothing but good things for Whitney and look forward to hearing from her again in the future. I do gotta admit that near the start I was similar to Brian in terms of worrying how much I could listen to Whitney's voice but one thing I realised during this was it's not homophobia that turns me off from that fey, camp way of talking, it's the accent itself.

I don't know how you'd characterise it per se but I think it's something like "valley girl" and that accent is irritating to me even if it's coming out of the mouth of a smoking hot bikini model who's telling me she wants nothing more than to tear all my clothes off. I guess some accents are just in wavelengths not meant to jive with some ears no matter what gender or orientation they're coming from and it's a bummer that a lot of gay guys or trans ladies end up with one of those which works against wider acceptance in some ways. And oddly the typical accent of the camp British dude doesn't bug me one bit, and in fact I can listen to a guy like Alan Carr all day long, which is another thing which made me think my problem's not actually coming from homophobia.

And Whitney's accent became no problem once the conversation got into the groove anyway, so I don't want to make it sound like a bigger thing in relation to this episode than it was.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote