View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
Blitzgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I don't really understand why something you use every day can be part of insurance (not including drugs, since getting that condition is the chance you're insuring against). That's why you don't have Food Insurance, or Rent Insurance.

If you're paying $X/day for a pill you take every day, there's nothing to insure against. So if you get insurance for it, that insurance will just cost you $X/day+processing.
Um, yes you do have rent insurance. If you don't, and some asshole in your building burns the apartment down, you'll be fucked. Also car insurance, which is something else that you use every day.

You're insuring against pregnancy, which again, is far more expensive. It's more cost effective in general for insurance companies to cover preventive care, whether it's smoking cessation programs or nutritional programs for people at risk of cardiovascular issues. Insurance companies have long struggled against covering preventive care, because they'd rather take a gamble and hope that they end up not having to pay for the preventive care but also somehow avoid paying for the greater health concern later down the road. That's as far as the "logic" goes on this front.