View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
RachaelBachael

Here's a pretty good radar I've used as to the effectiveness of the KONY 2012 video.

The day the movie hit the Internet, roughly 100 of my Facebook friends posted it, most with a caption similar to "WE MUST STOP HIM!!! WATCH THIS VIDEO".

6 of my friends and myself, having already known about Joseph Kony/Invisible Children/ the LRA, had previously "Liked" Invisible Children's Facebook page, giving us daily updates on their organization, latest videos, and the status of their services. None of these 6 friends (or myself) posted the KONY video on Facebook.

Roughly a week after the KONY video has gone viral? The same 6 of my friends "Liked" the Invisible Children Facebook fan page. Not one of the 100 ppl who posted the video liked their page.

Not to say that you can't give a shit about something if you don't follow it on Facebook, but if you're already on Facebook posting the video, and are so passionate to try and make everyone see it, wouldn't you want to "Like" their page to keep up to date on how the war on Joseph Kony is going? Hell, I know people who have only been inside an IKEA once and they like them on Facebook.

It was also annoying that stupid people were suddenly acting as if they were now political activists. A girl I know literally questioned via Facebook whether Joe Biden was the current VP or if it was Dick Cheney, but after watching KONY 2012, she thinks she knows everything about the situation.

My main critique of the video is that it exaggerates/glosses over some key facts . It's great that awareness is raised, the war has been going on for over 26 years and it's about time, but give people the correct facts! There are people enraged wanting to go to war with Uganda when Kony hasn't been there in 6-8 years. People still aren't aware that Kony is a Christian fundamentalist who wants to have society based on the Ten Commandments, and he believes he's acting on behalf of God (Lords Resistance Army...). People don't know that we have troops in Central Africa.

I would be very interested to see how many people can list the name of Kony's child army or the charity that made this video in 2 months time.

Last edited by RachaelBachael; 03-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote