View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Patrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyelo View Post
This is the first time I've ever disagreed with Patrice (and I am not pleased about it)! I have done quite a bit of research on Invisible Children, hosted an educated debate involving my high school students (I teach 12th grade and the video was produced for their age group), and I saw Jason Russell speak at a TEDx Conference last fall. I understand that the message is simplistic but it is a starting point. Invis Children is not registered as an aid organization, their focus is awareness.

I think it's just hip to be part of the backlash, just as it was hip to repost the original video the night it came out. Soon it will be hip to backlash the backlash, and so on.

Invisible Children is actually a small organization, hardly a large corporation like Feed The Children (once named the "most outrageous charity in America"), with successful marketing, and perhaps others feel threatened.

Although this may be considered bias, considering the source, it addresses a number of thoughtful criticisms: InvisibleChildren

Let's not reduce Uganda to a meme, instead, let's talk about it.

And if nothing else comes of this than an in-depth discussion with a bunch of 18 year olds about slactivism and researching where ones money goes, I'm a happy teacher.
I honestly wouldn't have a problem if they just billed themselves as an awareness charity, but they don't

From the .org site:

"Our development professionals from Central Africa partner with local communities to implement and maintain education programs and economic initiatives in the war affected region. Recovering communities require stability when it comes to education and economic initiatives, but the ever-changing conflict demands innovative solutions and quick mobilization. Our initiatiatives attempt to meet the region's need for both stability and flexibility."

"We focus on long-term goals that enable children to take responsibility for their futures and the futures of their countries. Our programs are carefully developed initiatives that address the need for quality education, mentorships, the redevelopment of schools, and financial stability. In areas where the LRA is still active, we focus on civilian protection and rehabilitation."

That to me translates to "We help Africans". If they were just running around taking photos holding guns and making films that would a different story. Do I have an alternative charity that you should be dealing with to help? No. I just know that Invisible Children has given me a weird exploitation vibe since the first film they made a few years ago. I saw the stream of Jason Russell at Tedx San Diego and he's eloquent and passionate as a speaker I can give him that.

Twitters

"Be gone, back to the cave from which you came." -Abs

"No, you can't go. He's a pederast."- Nick Postagulous
(Offline)   Reply With Quote