View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Astigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I believe Mike is following, IIFYM (if it fits your macros). Which is a very sound way to diet. You just figure out the macro nutrients (carbs, fats and protein) that your body needs then eat whatever you want as long as it meets those criteria. You supplement your micro-nutrients, with multivitamins. Doing this alone would probably be enough to get most people fit (at least ascetically), exercises just makes the process a lot easier. My explanation is sort of a bastardization of the term but it gives you the gist. The problem for most Americans is they not only eat anything but they eat crazy amounts of anything, duh.
I do follow IIFYM and that is a pretty sound description of it. All food is simply a composition of proteins, fats, carbohydrates (and alcohols). The actual food itself is completely irrelevant. Your body both doesn't know and doesn't care what food you give it. It simply requires proteins, fats, and carbohydrates to survive. Any which way you acquire those three macronutrients are up to you and your taste buds.

This sounds radical to the layman who has been purposefully miseducated by fitness, health food and supplement companies in order to peddle their wares. They want you to believe that the only way to lose weight is through Slim-Fast, or Lean Cuisine, or using Jillian Michael's workout program. They'd have you believe that if you want to lose weight you need to only be eating chicken, broccoli and brown rice but that simply isn't true in the slightest. There are lots of reasons to eat chicken, broccoli and brown rice but they are not the only roads to weight loss. You literally can eat nothing but chocolate cake and lose significant amounts of weight.

It's a good policy in life to scrutinize the information given to you by salesmen.

Last edited by Astigos; 07-17-2012 at 11:06 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote