View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
LilMissF-U-UP

I loved listening to Baratunde. He was very charismatic and his outro music was the best. You find the most interesting guests. I'm a black person who grew up in the inner city. My experiences with other races growing up was very limited. If there was a white person at my school, they were such a minority that they probably would have been scared to try the hair thing or even ask questions out of curiosity. I was never the minority in the room until I grew up and began exploring lands beyond my neighborhood. I've been lucky in that I have surrounded myself with a rainbow of generally accepting, intelligent people. I haven't had any hugely traumatic moments of ignorance in my life...

My youngest sister, though, tried to share her cookies with the one white kid in her grade as an elementary school student. That kid said something to the effect of 'I don't want it because you're black', surrounded by black classmates, teachers, administrators, etc. I don't know if she survived in that school.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote