Thread: 32: Godless
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
ssgtballard
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I started life as a Roman Catholic and at 8 years old became a Baptist, now I am an atheist.

I think Chemda likes to simplify the role of God and the Church down to people in trouble and turning to belief. Throughout the episodes of KATG we can hear her state the same thing over and over about how you get in trouble and turn to asking god to save you but I think there is a lot more to it.
I think church starts as a place to bring your kids and reinforce the ethics you gave them at home. The ten commandments contain most of the essential ethics or morals you need to make it through life;
Honour thy father and thy mother
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife

The Church is a community, Micheal touched on this. Its like going to a VFW, Lions club or even the KATG forums. Like minded people meeting each other and enjoying a fellowship. When you enjoying something good happening or lementing a loss there is a group of people who are there every sunday help you. The church has historically been the welfare or a community. If your house burns down or you lose your job most people would turn to the church and get the helping hand they needed. This was one of the main reasons for the 10% tithe, you paid into the support organization and in times of need got it back.
One of the biggest reasons for following christian religions is also a need for help. As we know from the show and day to day life, self esteem is not high in most people. If your going through some shit, you look at the bible, see all of this is gods plan and god would never give you anything that you couldn't deal with then you don't have to worry about if you can handle it. You already know that you can handle it, god says so.

This doesn't excuse the problems that the major religions have caused, just some of the reason people join the church. Also most people don't see themselves as part of the Vatican or the 700 club, all they are concerned with is their local church and local community.
The SSgt has it exactly right.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote