Thread: 32: Godless
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
MichaelApproved
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtballard View Post
The ten commandments contain most of the essential ethics or morals you need to make it through life;
Honour thy father and thy mother
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife
I want to touch on this point you're making about the ethics of the 10 commandments and show that it's not as ethical as it seems.

Let's look at the first three commandments. They're all about worshiping God. Before any ethical lessons are handed down, God's big fat ego needs recognition. That doesn't seem like a good lesson to me.

1. Worship only the God who proved his power in Egypt.
2. Do not engrave or worship images of anything.
3. Do not swear by saying the word YHVH in vain.

"Honour thy father and thy mother" ... regardless of abuse? If your parents molest or beat you, you're still supposed to honour thy father and thy mother? Not very moral.

The Bible has so many atrocities and screwed up ethical guidelines that it's better to start from scratch and not use any examples from it. Sure you could cherry pick a handful of lessons but why try so hard to salvage those tainted stories when there are other sources for ethics and moral lessons.

I wouldn't want my child to use the Bible for guidance in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I looked for the video of this skit online, but of course video from the early 80s is hard to find online. So no go.
I never saw it but I tried looking too but couldn't find it.

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 08-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote