View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
mrthewhite
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Space is not irrelevant.

There are a lot of technologies we've gotten as a result of the fact that we've been to space and continue to explore space. Things like memory foam mattresses, fire resistant clothing and even invisible braces were all invented as a direct result of the space program. I know some of these things seem trivial but I use them as examples because they are some of the best examples of how it directly impacts our day to day life.

There are much larger advancements such many of the components that make up modern computers. Their concepts and original use were all created to help make the on board computers faster, smaller and lighter. If I recall correctly the very first computer used in space flight wasn't much more advanced than a standard calculator and in order to do the complicated missions they wanted they needed better computers and invested large amount of money in those people who were developing them at the time.

There was also medical equipment like MRIs that were invented as a direct result of technology developed by the space program.

These are all tangible benefits but I think even without them people would still have a desire for a space program because we like to explore. There's a sense that seen almost all there is to see on this world in one way or another and I think the idea of not being able to discover new things is a troubling thought for a lot of people.

I think the popularity of the Sci-Fi genre proves that people have a genuine desire to keep moving beyond their familiar surroundings and explore the unknown and there's definitely a feeling that that exploration and discovery makes us better people.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote