View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #55 (permalink)
Dean from Australia
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Oh yeah, we use lots of traits to categorize each other into a hierarchy, like race, religion, gender, sexuality, etc.

And the other books of the Bible that you're talking about in another post are the Apocrypha. As you said, history is written by the victors. Another problem with taking the Bible literally is that this text has been translated and edited many times over. We're basically playing a game of telephone with the people who wrote it thousands of years ago. And we keep changing it in modern times, as well. Evangelicals didn't like what Exodus 21:22-25 had to say about fetal death, so they changed it to sound more "pro-life":

Mischief follows in partisan Bible translations

The fact that there are clear examples in modern times of the Bible being altered to align with current political stances is pretty strong evidence that it is the word of man, and not the word of an omnipotent deity.
Superb blog post and indeed it addresses so much of the issues I have with the 'bastardization' of Christianity by successive revisionists who, ironically, have positioned themselves quite comfortably in the political classes so as to further revise and conquer with their ideaology.

Something Michael Khalili and Myq Kaplan discussed on Chenda's last WMN was the notion of our moral compass. The question was asked - where does aetheism draw its moral fabric from and I think they answered along the lines of aetheists in the main being able to recognize what is essentially good because they aren't encumbered by a specific dogma. I think that's how it went anyway. That's an appealing ideal.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote