Thread: 32: Godless
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
MichaelApproved
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terror-lyn View Post
Yes, when I participate in Christian activities it is usually for social or traditional reasons. Like going to church on mothers day, or when invited for huge programs. I dont really go anymore for Christmas or Easter or anything like that. Its usually to support a program someones child is in, or a close family member. I still really enjoy the music, so Im more likey to go to a concert/choir performance more then a "service".
You initially described yourself as in the middle, between religious people and atheists. Don't you feel closer to agnosticism/atheism than religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
the Bible never says the Jews build the pyramids...they were listed as slaves to the Egyptians
It's often misconceived that the Jews did build the pyramids due to religious teachings. It may not be written in the bible (thank you for that clarification) but it was taught in my Hebrew school.

Quote:
there is historical evidence of Jesus
Please provide evidence for this that doesn't cite the Bible as a source.

Quote:
and most of the historical people mentioned in the Bible can be found historically. The Romans, for example, had heard of someone causing problems in their middle eastern territories...some religious person challenging the authority of the priests. Or the fact that Nero called Christians by that name, there was someone called "Christ" that they assembled behind to have been given this name.
Many works of fiction include real places and other historical elements. The movie Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter references Confederate forces by that name, that doesn't make the story true.

The Bible is a mishmosh of half true stories and completely made up stories loosely based on some historical elements. It is not a source for historical evidence anymore than Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is. It can not be used as a reliable source of historical information.

Vague sources outside of the Bible that refer to somewhat similar events from the Bible does not equal evidence that stories from the Bible are true.

Quote:
There is evidence of "Christians" as a group as early as 100 AD...and Jesus' Jewish name, Yeshua (I think that is how it is spelled) is in early Jewish historian texts as well.
Please cite a source that claims Jesus existed which isn't biblical or religious.

Quote:
To put in context, Cleopatra only has a few references to herself from reliable historican sources...yet we know she existed. Her face was vandalized and wiped off of all Egyptian buildings, yet one bust, and a Roman coin with her face on it exsist as well as some writings. That is enough to accept she exsisted.
The key word here is "reliable". Cleopatra is referenced by reliable sources, the bible is not a reliable source.

Quote:
There is actually geographical evidence of a world wide flood. I'm not saying that the Biblical flood happened, but there is evidence that one did. So to say it is completely silly...
No, there is no evidence of such a flood. It is completely silly.

Quote:
And this is beside the fact that the Bible IS considered a verified historical document. Whether you believe it or not or think it is all made up, historians use it for reference material.
Please cite examples where historians use it for historical reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
Let's go with Jesus Christ existed as a person. I buy that.
Why would you even buy that part of the story? There's simply no reliable evidence for such a claim. I can see how the story has been repeated as true so many times that it's difficult to shake it off but try and find non biblical eventide that he existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
And there isn't evidence of a world wide flood. There is evidence of a Middle Eastern flood.
I don't think there's evidence of a Middle Eastern flood of this magnitude.

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure both sides stick with some sort of history...I'm not saying anyone has to think he is the Messiah, but I don't want the glib "there is no evidence he exsisted" thing.
It's not glib to ask for evidence and challenge unsubstantiated claims.

Quote:
From what I've read, there is evidence of flood around the same time in time all over the world...sediment and trees buried upright and fish bones even in near mountaintops...things like that.
Where did you read that?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote