View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
stulagu
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahmwrites View Post
Hey stulagu, thanks for listening. :-)
Mariah, thank you so much for sharing your story!

I would never EVER eat my placenta...eeek! Gross! But I have researched it since I'm friends with a lot of natualpaths, doulas and midwives. I guess it gives you this surge of hormones which stops bleeding quicker, helps your milk come in, etc etc. I would assume it would also have side effects as does everything and apparently there are cubes of dried placenta that don't taste too bad...but I personally wouldn't want to eat anything that my body has expelled.

When you think about it as eating liver or kidney...those organs filter toxins but also are really good for you...I don't know.

In my experience with water breaking, they can strip the membranes which they do with their fingers and it HURTS and then break the water with the tool. I never saw the tool either (all three of mine had to have the water broken) but when I started photographing births I saw the tool and yikes.

My first epidural was like yours, I was totally numb...they gave me way too much and it ended up making my labor much longer and it wore off before I actually gave birth which totally defeated the purpose. For my second two, they did the epidural perfectly, I could feel a little pain, and could feel when I needed to push, which helped so much.

I'm actually really debating writing a birth/raising babies book because I feel like every book I ever found had very specific politics aligned with it, and there weren't any that were frank and non opinionated. Women get so bombarded with advice when they're pregnant and then after they had the baby realized other options were out there and so I want to someday do something to help people realize having a baby is more than just pushing.

I actually had a question for you, too. I know someone that had a one night stand and put the baby up for adoption. The adopted mom is the biological mom's sister, and the dad is really not sure how this relationship is going to work out. I think he is super proud to be a dad, but knew he couldn't take care of the baby. I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to go forward? They really don't have much of a legal contract worked out yet and I'm super nervous that down the road the dad will be dragged into drama.

Emotionally, what advice to you have on how to handle this? Do you seperate yourself from the baby totally? If you're only invovled for a couple times a year how do you keep your emotions in check? I really want to help him work through this situation...I'll be sitting him and his current girlfriend down to listen to this episode for sure.

PS Thank you Chemda, for bringing these amazing topics to your listeners!!!!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote