View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cretaceous Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl19 View Post
Well, not to quibble, but King Diamond is an avowed member of the Church of Satan. Some folks call it LaVeyan Satanism, those people are, I suppose, trying to be nice. But we can just call it Satanism.

"That Satanism stuff" in the case of Kind Diamond is pretty close to how you describe it, but slightly more nuanced. Satanist don't believe in an actual devil with horns and a tail either. Only Christians believe that, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
King Diamond did it for show. It's very clear. I seem to recall him distancing himself from Satanism in an interview somewhere, but that's kind of immaterial. He exploited Satanism for commercial purposes, even if he doesn't admit it and even if he is a member of LaVey's church.

I considered explaining that almost all metal Satanism is either purely a symbol of an anti-Christian message or LaVey Satanism, but it doesn't really matter to that dopey dumbdumb so I said fuck it.

I exclusively refer to LaVey Satanism as LaVey Satanism because, as you point out, Satan is an invention of Christians, and so I consider true, real Satanism to be theistic Satanism. The LaVey stuff is just co-opting a term to be sensational; it has little to do with Christianity or Satan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl19 View Post
Metal's co-opting of Satanism and satanic imagery is understandable because it's fucking awesome. But really, most Metal- especially the kind that Keith listens to, isn't borrowing from Satanism or the Occult in any way. Norwegian Black Metal certainly is. Poison, not so much.

That deluded Christian fellow has nothing to worry about, really. He doesn't want Satan and Satan doesn't want him. Neither does Metal unless we're talking about Stryper. And let's not do that.
I was explaining why Satanism is so much more prevalent in metal than any other musical genre. I'd estimate only 20% of metal involves Satanism.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote