View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
violachick8
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

A couple things:

Therapy is not just saying to your client that they need to talk to the person causing the problem. The person causing the problem isn't in therapy and they can't suggest courses of actions to them. Most of therapy is developing coping mechanisms for everybody else. For instance, if I were seeing a client and he was having problems with the way his mom talked to him. I would likely in fact encourage him to talk to his mom about how this makes him feel sure absolutely BUT I would also try to bring things into focus. Maybe somethings going on with his mom right now OR if she is just a huge bitchcuntasshat have my client develop a strategy to not take things that his mom says so seriously to heart or a different way to talk with her. Many therapists use specific interventions that have been tested many times to show that they are more effective statistically for patients. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, ect. are all found to be more helpful than just drugs or therapy alone.

About the psychiatrist going to another psychiatrist and saying that they have all these problems and they are fucked up ect. Yes its true that this happens but I don't think we resent it. We do it behind each others backs when talking about people like most everyone does. I will add that most people who do go into this line of work are fucked up or have family that is fucked up so we have had personal experience with mental illness. In our training we are encouraged to be open about it and even if we don't have depression, anxiety, bipolar or whatever you are encouraged to be a therapist to taste what being the client is like. Removing the stigma from these disorders is an important part of treating our clients because they feel less shame about their disease and stick to treatment better. Part of this, I believe is being open about what problems we as therapists have.

Disclaimer: I'm only like 15 minutes into the show and there is probably going to be more rant in me. Sorry.