View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Aquavelvis

Bad .performance stories, I has them

Two come to mind -

A production of "The Music Man" where someone thought it would be a good idea to have an actual live horse pull on the Wells Fargo Wagon at the end of Act 1. The horse was sometimes nervous. Also I had no contact lenses and couldn't wear my glasses onstage, so in one performance I tripped and slid on my belly hand-first into a pile of fresh horse-turd that the nervous horse had dropped upstage left.

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" - I was playing Pseudolus. The night before the closing performance I broke two toes. This was also the performance they decided to videotape for the theatre company's archives. So in the video, during the "chase scene" where I'm running on and off-stage pretty much non-stop, you can spot the moment where the vicodin starts to wear off. I had a couple of exits where I was running at full speed into the wings, which were shallow, and two stage-hands would catch me to stop me because with the busted toes I had trouble stopping myself. On the last such exit one of them missed grabbing my arm, causing me to pivot and slam face-first into the wall and breaking my nose.

The finale sounded a little funny with cotton stuffed up my nostrils.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote